Skip to main content

JavaScript Basic: Six Most Simple Array Methods Make Our Life Easier


Arrays come with many built-in methods, and I just learn six most simple methods that can make our life easier.

Push

We use push to add to the end of an array.

For example, if I want to add another letter at the end of array, instead of write letters[4],  I can write:


Image an array contains 100+ data, we don't have to count index every time we want to add a new data in the array.

Pop

We use pop to remove the last item in an array.

If I want to remove the letter "D" from the array, I can write:

Unshift

We use unshift to add a new item to the front of an array.

Instead of add letter "E" at the end of the array, I can add "E" in front of the "A".

Shift

We use shift to remove the first item in an array.

If I want to remove the letter "A" in the array, I can write:


IndexOf()

We use indexOf() to find the index of an item in an array.

If I want to find the index of letter "C", I can write:


It gives us the index of "C" is 2. If I want to find an element which is not present in the array such as "M", it will return as -1.

Slice

We use slice() to copy parts of an array.

If I want to use slice to copy the 2nd and 3d letters which are "B" and "C", I need to specify index where the new array starts (1 "B") and ends (3 "D").


It won't alter the original letter array. If we want to copy the entire array, we can just write:

var seondLetters = letters.slice();


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GIT Study Note: Six Git Commands You Should Know!

What is Git? According to Git website , Git is a free and open source distributed version control system designed to handle everything from small to very large projects with speed and efficiency. Basically, we can use Git to track all of changes and revert them back if we made mistakes. The version control system is a way for us to work with different versions of our code, so that we can save different features and make notes as we progress. It is also very useful for team collaboration. Six Git Command You Should Know 1. Git Init In our server, we need to create a "Git" directory and inside of "Git", we make another direcory "git_inro". Then, we add a file "app,js" in the "git_intro" folder. The first thing we need to run is "git init" . When we run git init, it will make a directory which is hidden called ".git". Wherever I run that git init command, it's going to track all of our changes. ...

Intermediate Express.Js: Write Conditions and Loops In The EJS (study note)

We continue to use the app.js which we have build to be the study example. In the last post, we only add a simple EJS tag <%= thingVar %> inside h1 tag. This will match the "thing" to any "thing" request from the user. If Statement Today, the course shows us to write a simple if statement in the EJS file. I learn to apply it to my own app. In the if statement, if users send"/wantto/workout" request, the page will show a new content "Good Idea!". We wrote the if statement in the "diet.ejs" file, and we add "<% %>" tags around the code. We have to wrap every line of JavaScript anytime JavaScript starts and ends. Moreover, you may see there are two types of ejs tags here: <%= %> The one with equal sign. According to the course, when we add equal sign, the value that is returned inside of the tag will be rendered to the HTML page. it will be added to the HTML. For example, if we write ...

Intermediate Express.js: How To Render HTML From A EJS File?

The Express.js apps we have developed so far are just simply getting requests from users and sending matched message back to them. However, it is not what we want in the real web application. In most case, we want to send back a relevant web page when our app receives request from user. In order to do that, we need to npm install ejs file in the Express, create HTML page in the ejs file, and render HTMl from the ejs file. I know it sounds confuse now. I am going to explain more details in the example. EJS stands for embedded JavaScript. It lets us embed JavaScript code variables if statements loops inside of HTML. How to render HTML from a EJS file? Step One: Create a HTML page in EJS file Firstly, in our server, we create a folder named "EJSDemo". In this folder, we touch two files, one is "app.js", and the other one is "home.ejs". We are going to write a simple HTML code in the "home.ejs" file. The instructor create a dog page,...