Skip to main content

Intermediate Express.js: How To Add Styles & Partials in EJS File?


So far, we only have simple HTML tags and ejs tags in each ejs file. Every template page has no style at all. And the basic HTML header and footer are also missing.

Today, I learned how to add styles and partials in ejs file.

Link Style

Step One: Touch a Separate CSS file

I create a new directory "Style" under the "EJSDemo" directory, then I add a new CSS file "app.css" inside "Style" folder.


Step Two: Add app.use(express.static()) in the app.js

I add app.use(express.static("style")) in the "app.js". This will tell Express.js to serve the content of "Style" directory.


Step Three: Write styles in CSS file

I simple give body an orange background color and set text color to be grey.



Step Four: Link to CSS file in the EJS file

I just add <link> tag to link the "app.css" file on the top of the h1 tag in each ejs template.


As the result, when I run the app and send "/posts" request, I receive a styled page.


Add Partials: Header and Footer

Partials are files or templates that we can write, then we can include in other templates.

Step One: Create new files

I create a new directory "Partials" and add two ejs files "header" and "footer" inside it.


Step Two: Write header

In the header file, I add the basic HTML  <head>, <title>, <body> and <link> to the "app.css" file. Those tags are on the top of every HTML page.



Step Three: Write Footer

The footer is simple. It just includes the closing tag for body and html. I also add a simple paragraph on the top of closing tags.


Step Four: Add partials in each ejs template

Since "header" and "footer" files are created, I don't have to copy and paste each header and footer code in every template again and again. 

I just need to write simple ejs tags to include the "header" and "footer" in the ejs template. That will make the code clean.


As the result, I send the "/wantto/workout" page, it shows title "Demo App", adds styles, and displays the footer message.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GIT Study Note: Six Git Commands You Should Know!

What is Git? According to Git website , Git is a free and open source distributed version control system designed to handle everything from small to very large projects with speed and efficiency. Basically, we can use Git to track all of changes and revert them back if we made mistakes. The version control system is a way for us to work with different versions of our code, so that we can save different features and make notes as we progress. It is also very useful for team collaboration. Six Git Command You Should Know 1. Git Init In our server, we need to create a "Git" directory and inside of "Git", we make another direcory "git_inro". Then, we add a file "app,js" in the "git_intro" folder. The first thing we need to run is "git init" . When we run git init, it will make a directory which is hidden called ".git". Wherever I run that git init command, it's going to track all of our changes. ...

Intermediate Express.js: How To Render HTML From A EJS File?

The Express.js apps we have developed so far are just simply getting requests from users and sending matched message back to them. However, it is not what we want in the real web application. In most case, we want to send back a relevant web page when our app receives request from user. In order to do that, we need to npm install ejs file in the Express, create HTML page in the ejs file, and render HTMl from the ejs file. I know it sounds confuse now. I am going to explain more details in the example. EJS stands for embedded JavaScript. It lets us embed JavaScript code variables if statements loops inside of HTML. How to render HTML from a EJS file? Step One: Create a HTML page in EJS file Firstly, in our server, we create a folder named "EJSDemo". In this folder, we touch two files, one is "app.js", and the other one is "home.ejs". We are going to write a simple HTML code in the "home.ejs" file. The instructor create a dog page,...

Express Study Notes: Five Steps To Develop My First Express App

In the last post, I shared my study note about one of the most important reason that Node is very popular is because Node has the largest package ecosystem of open source libraries in the world. Node's NPM, the package manager for Javascript, contains almost 200,000 packages which are centralized on the NPM website. And more importantly, NPM has a command line tool which help us to install packages really easily. The course instructor told us that we are going to learn Express.js to develop Apps in this course. screenshot for the Express.js.com homepage What is Express.js? Express.js is a web development framework. According to the course, framework is a bunch of code that someone else wrote just like a library is except when we use a framework, we have less control. The goal of using this framework is to make our development of APPs faster. Why do we use Express.js? 1. It is the most popular Node web development framework so far. 2. It is a very lightweight ...