Skip to main content

Bootstrap Project Study: Create A Nice Landing Page


I have learned how to create a image gallery, and now it's time to create a nice landing page.



Add Bootstrap CSS and Java Script Links

Firstly, we need to install Bootstrap CSS link in the <head> element and add the Java Script & J Query links at the bottom of the <body> .


Create Major Content in Grid System

I love coffee so much, so I would like to create a landing page named "Coffee Time". I want all my text in a container, so it will help to style them as a whole later.

Since I only have two headline words, I want them to display in the full-size grid, which is 12 columns. Under the text, I add a large size bootstrap button, so users can click on it.


The page looks like this: all the content is on the top left of the page, and I don't like it.

 Style The Content

I want all the content to be in the center of the page. Therefore, I add <div id="content"> tag outside the headers & button. 


Then, I create a CSS file to style the ID "content" by aligning all the text in the center and adding some space on the top.




 As the result, all the content move to the center, which looks better.

 Add Background Image

The Udemy course instructor introduce a great photograph website named Unsplash, and we can find many high quality image from this site. 

I find a pretty coffee image from the site and add it in the body background. It would look professional if the image cover the whole page, so I style the background-size to be "cover".


The result: the background image fully cover the page.


Add Nav-bar

I copy the Nav-bar code from my previous html exercise and change some text. If you don't like this nav-bar, please feel free to copy the bootstrap default nav-bar code and make your own changes.


On the top of the page, it shows the nav-bar. As you resize the page, the nav-bar will hide in a hamburger icon.


Style The Text Font

At the end, I want to make my text bold and large, so I change the font-family, font-size, font-weight, and color for both h1 and h3 text below. By the way, "Lato" font is from Google font. You just need to follow its introduction to install the font in your application.


This is my final landing page, and I like it a lot. 



During the Udemy course, the instructor also showed us many complicate CSS code in his landing page example. For me, I just want to keep it simple to use.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GIT Study Note: Six Git Commands You Should Know!

What is Git? According to Git website , Git is a free and open source distributed version control system designed to handle everything from small to very large projects with speed and efficiency. Basically, we can use Git to track all of changes and revert them back if we made mistakes. The version control system is a way for us to work with different versions of our code, so that we can save different features and make notes as we progress. It is also very useful for team collaboration. Six Git Command You Should Know 1. Git Init In our server, we need to create a "Git" directory and inside of "Git", we make another direcory "git_inro". Then, we add a file "app,js" in the "git_intro" folder. The first thing we need to run is "git init" . When we run git init, it will make a directory which is hidden called ".git". Wherever I run that git init command, it's going to track all of our changes. ...

Intermediate Express.js: How To Render HTML From A EJS File?

The Express.js apps we have developed so far are just simply getting requests from users and sending matched message back to them. However, it is not what we want in the real web application. In most case, we want to send back a relevant web page when our app receives request from user. In order to do that, we need to npm install ejs file in the Express, create HTML page in the ejs file, and render HTMl from the ejs file. I know it sounds confuse now. I am going to explain more details in the example. EJS stands for embedded JavaScript. It lets us embed JavaScript code variables if statements loops inside of HTML. How to render HTML from a EJS file? Step One: Create a HTML page in EJS file Firstly, in our server, we create a folder named "EJSDemo". In this folder, we touch two files, one is "app.js", and the other one is "home.ejs". We are going to write a simple HTML code in the "home.ejs" file. The instructor create a dog page,...

Express Study Notes: Five Steps To Develop My First Express App

In the last post, I shared my study note about one of the most important reason that Node is very popular is because Node has the largest package ecosystem of open source libraries in the world. Node's NPM, the package manager for Javascript, contains almost 200,000 packages which are centralized on the NPM website. And more importantly, NPM has a command line tool which help us to install packages really easily. The course instructor told us that we are going to learn Express.js to develop Apps in this course. screenshot for the Express.js.com homepage What is Express.js? Express.js is a web development framework. According to the course, framework is a bunch of code that someone else wrote just like a library is except when we use a framework, we have less control. The goal of using this framework is to make our development of APPs faster. Why do we use Express.js? 1. It is the most popular Node web development framework so far. 2. It is a very lightweight ...