Skip to main content

Bootstrap Project Study: Create A Fancy Image Gallery in Details


I have shared how to apply Bootstrap code to create Nav-bar, Jumbotron, and Grid System in previous posts, so today I am going to use all my bootstrap learning to create a Image Gallery.



This is also a Udemy course project, so some image links are provided by instructor. I would like to share the project process here.

Add Bootstrap CSS & Java Script Links

I start to create a HTML page and link to the Bootstrap CSS code. At the bottom of <body>, I also add the Java Script and J Query links, so it will make sure the page is following the certain rule.


Create A Jumbotron

I apply the Jumbotron code in the HTML, and add h1 header as "The Image Gallery" and a short paragraph to describe what this site is about.


By the way, just make sure the Jumbotron code is inside the "container", so everything will be moved to the center of the page.

Add A Nav-Bar

I just copy my old nav-bar code from previous Nav-bar exercise, but I make two changes. 
  • In the first <nav> element class attribute value, I change "navbar-default" to "navbar-inverse". It will give a black nav-bar. (To be honest, I prefer the default one. The instructor let us to try this way, it is worth to learn.)
  • Inside the <a> element, I edit the website name "Image Gallery Exercise"



The result:


Add Image Link In The Grid System

It' s time to add images in the grid system. For large size device, I would like to show three images per row, so each image will take 4 columns. As I shrink to the medium size, I want two images per line, so each image takes 6 columns.


In order to make all the image fit in the same shape, the instructor taught us to use "thumbnail" class value. 


Then, I make six copies of the code, and edit the image links. Since I want all the images align with the Jumbotron, I move the grid codes inside the "container".




Add Camera Icon

The instructor also show us how to add icon on the HTML. I insert the camera icon code from bootstrap components in front of "The Image Gallery" text. 


The result:


Make Our Own CSS Style

I want to add some space between the nav-bar and jumbotron, so I add some top-padding value.


The result:


Then I can change the jumbotron text color and navbar background color.


The result:



Test The Nav-bar

Finally, I need to test whether the nav-bar work. I shrink the window to the small size, the nav-bar is hided in the hamburger icon. As I click the icon, all the content shows up. 


The final image gallery page:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GIT Study Note: Six Git Commands You Should Know!

What is Git? According to Git website , Git is a free and open source distributed version control system designed to handle everything from small to very large projects with speed and efficiency. Basically, we can use Git to track all of changes and revert them back if we made mistakes. The version control system is a way for us to work with different versions of our code, so that we can save different features and make notes as we progress. It is also very useful for team collaboration. Six Git Command You Should Know 1. Git Init In our server, we need to create a "Git" directory and inside of "Git", we make another direcory "git_inro". Then, we add a file "app,js" in the "git_intro" folder. The first thing we need to run is "git init" . When we run git init, it will make a directory which is hidden called ".git". Wherever I run that git init command, it's going to track all of our changes. ...

Intermediate Express.js: How To Render HTML From A EJS File?

The Express.js apps we have developed so far are just simply getting requests from users and sending matched message back to them. However, it is not what we want in the real web application. In most case, we want to send back a relevant web page when our app receives request from user. In order to do that, we need to npm install ejs file in the Express, create HTML page in the ejs file, and render HTMl from the ejs file. I know it sounds confuse now. I am going to explain more details in the example. EJS stands for embedded JavaScript. It lets us embed JavaScript code variables if statements loops inside of HTML. How to render HTML from a EJS file? Step One: Create a HTML page in EJS file Firstly, in our server, we create a folder named "EJSDemo". In this folder, we touch two files, one is "app.js", and the other one is "home.ejs". We are going to write a simple HTML code in the "home.ejs" file. The instructor create a dog page,...

Express Study Notes: Five Steps To Develop My First Express App

In the last post, I shared my study note about one of the most important reason that Node is very popular is because Node has the largest package ecosystem of open source libraries in the world. Node's NPM, the package manager for Javascript, contains almost 200,000 packages which are centralized on the NPM website. And more importantly, NPM has a command line tool which help us to install packages really easily. The course instructor told us that we are going to learn Express.js to develop Apps in this course. screenshot for the Express.js.com homepage What is Express.js? Express.js is a web development framework. According to the course, framework is a bunch of code that someone else wrote just like a library is except when we use a framework, we have less control. The goal of using this framework is to make our development of APPs faster. Why do we use Express.js? 1. It is the most popular Node web development framework so far. 2. It is a very lightweight ...