Skip to main content

Project Study: How to Use Basic CSS Selectors to Style A TO DO List?

In the last post, I shared my study note about three basic CSS selectors. Even though I wrote an example under each selector, it still may not enough to explain how those selectors make the effect.

Therefore, I am going to explain more detail about how to use those CSS selectors in a simple project.

In this project, I will create a short To Do List and then apply element selector, ID selector and class selector to style the list.

Step One: Create HTML page

As I mentioned before, the first step is always to create HTML page. Without a page, we can't do any CSS work. It is just like we should have a cake ready before to put cream and fruit on it.

Here is the To Do List HTML part:


It turns out a simple black and white web page.


Step Two: Use Element/ID/Class selectors in the CSS file.

Element Selector: 

Firstly, I want to make the web page background to be grey. Since the whole body of the page will be grey, I will use Element selector: body { background: grey;}. As the result, the web page background turns into grey color.

I also want to add a blue border to each list text, so I write li { border: 2px solid blue;}. To be clear, 2px refers to the border width, solid refers to the border style, and blue refer to the border color.


ID Selector:

Since the ID selector can be only used once per page, I want to make a yellow background to the last list content which is "Finish CSS Study". This is the most important thing in the day. I definitely don't want to forget it.

I add the id="special" inside the <li> tag on the HTML part. By the way, you don't have to name the id as "special", you can name anything you want. In the CSS part, I write the ID selector:  #special { background: yellow;}. 


Keep in mind, if you use other id name, in the CSS part, you need to write #youridname { property: value;}

Class Selector:

Since I already finished the first two things, I want to cross out both of them. It is time to use class selector. 

Just like what I did in the ID selector, I need to add "class" attribute in the HTML. I set the class value as "completed" since I already completed them.


Then, I go back to the CSS part to write the class selector: .completed { text-decoration: line-through;}. Don't forget the DOT before the attribute value.

The final page will look like:






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GIT Study Note: Six Git Commands You Should Know!

What is Git? According to Git website , Git is a free and open source distributed version control system designed to handle everything from small to very large projects with speed and efficiency. Basically, we can use Git to track all of changes and revert them back if we made mistakes. The version control system is a way for us to work with different versions of our code, so that we can save different features and make notes as we progress. It is also very useful for team collaboration. Six Git Command You Should Know 1. Git Init In our server, we need to create a "Git" directory and inside of "Git", we make another direcory "git_inro". Then, we add a file "app,js" in the "git_intro" folder. The first thing we need to run is "git init" . When we run git init, it will make a directory which is hidden called ".git". Wherever I run that git init command, it's going to track all of our changes. ...

Intermediate Express.js: How To Render HTML From A EJS File?

The Express.js apps we have developed so far are just simply getting requests from users and sending matched message back to them. However, it is not what we want in the real web application. In most case, we want to send back a relevant web page when our app receives request from user. In order to do that, we need to npm install ejs file in the Express, create HTML page in the ejs file, and render HTMl from the ejs file. I know it sounds confuse now. I am going to explain more details in the example. EJS stands for embedded JavaScript. It lets us embed JavaScript code variables if statements loops inside of HTML. How to render HTML from a EJS file? Step One: Create a HTML page in EJS file Firstly, in our server, we create a folder named "EJSDemo". In this folder, we touch two files, one is "app.js", and the other one is "home.ejs". We are going to write a simple HTML code in the "home.ejs" file. The instructor create a dog page,...

Express Study Notes: Five Steps To Develop My First Express App

In the last post, I shared my study note about one of the most important reason that Node is very popular is because Node has the largest package ecosystem of open source libraries in the world. Node's NPM, the package manager for Javascript, contains almost 200,000 packages which are centralized on the NPM website. And more importantly, NPM has a command line tool which help us to install packages really easily. The course instructor told us that we are going to learn Express.js to develop Apps in this course. screenshot for the Express.js.com homepage What is Express.js? Express.js is a web development framework. According to the course, framework is a bunch of code that someone else wrote just like a library is except when we use a framework, we have less control. The goal of using this framework is to make our development of APPs faster. Why do we use Express.js? 1. It is the most popular Node web development framework so far. 2. It is a very lightweight ...