Skip to main content

Project Study: Five Advanced CSS Selectors You Should Know

Today, I am going to share five advanced CSS selectors from Udemy course. Then, I will create a simple project to explain how we apply each selectors.

Those five advanced selectors are:
  • Star Selector: Whatever we do, it will apply to every single element.
  • Descendant Selector: The way that descendant selector works is that it takes two or more tag names or two or more selectors and you chain them together.
  • Adjacent Selector: With adjacent selector, it will let us select elements that comes after another element.
  • Attribute Selector: The attribute selector is a way to select elements based of any attribute.
  • Nth of Type: The way of nth of type works is it takes a number like three or five and then it selects every end of a specific element. So if I want to select every fifth paragraph, I could use nth of type.

I know it is not clear to understand without apply them in a project and see how they work.

Now I am going to create a simple web page named "Selector Demo", which includes some lists and hyperlinks.

The HTML Part:


The Web page looks like:

Now I am going to apply those five selectors in the CSS file.


  • Star Selector
I want every element on the page has a border, so the simple way is to use star selector:
*{border: 1px solid lightgrey:}
  • Descendant Selector
As we can see, there are three hyperlinks on the last list, and I want to make those links text in red color, so I use descendant selector:
li a{ color: red:}.
  • Adjacent Selector
There are two h4 headers, one is "Popular Vegetables", and the other one is "Popular Sites". Under each header, there is a short list. I want to add a blue border to each list. Therefore, I use adjacent selector: 
h4+ul { border: 4px solid blue;}.
  • Attribute Selector
There are four hyperlinks on this page, and two of them are linking to Google. I want to give a yellow background to Google links. As we know, the hyperlink attribute is " a href=", so the attribute selector will be 
a[href="http://www.google.com"] { background: yellow;}
  • Nth of Type
I build three lists on the page. I want the even number on every list has a green background, so I use the nth of type: 
li:nth-of-type(even) { background: green;}

The final outcome will be:



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GIT Study Note: Six Git Commands You Should Know!

What is Git? According to Git website , Git is a free and open source distributed version control system designed to handle everything from small to very large projects with speed and efficiency. Basically, we can use Git to track all of changes and revert them back if we made mistakes. The version control system is a way for us to work with different versions of our code, so that we can save different features and make notes as we progress. It is also very useful for team collaboration. Six Git Command You Should Know 1. Git Init In our server, we need to create a "Git" directory and inside of "Git", we make another direcory "git_inro". Then, we add a file "app,js" in the "git_intro" folder. The first thing we need to run is "git init" . When we run git init, it will make a directory which is hidden called ".git". Wherever I run that git init command, it's going to track all of our changes. ...

Intermediate Express.js: How To Render HTML From A EJS File?

The Express.js apps we have developed so far are just simply getting requests from users and sending matched message back to them. However, it is not what we want in the real web application. In most case, we want to send back a relevant web page when our app receives request from user. In order to do that, we need to npm install ejs file in the Express, create HTML page in the ejs file, and render HTMl from the ejs file. I know it sounds confuse now. I am going to explain more details in the example. EJS stands for embedded JavaScript. It lets us embed JavaScript code variables if statements loops inside of HTML. How to render HTML from a EJS file? Step One: Create a HTML page in EJS file Firstly, in our server, we create a folder named "EJSDemo". In this folder, we touch two files, one is "app.js", and the other one is "home.ejs". We are going to write a simple HTML code in the "home.ejs" file. The instructor create a dog page,...

Intro To Authentication: Three Useful Tools Will Make Everything Easier

Authentication is very important for both users and websites. It helps to keep users' information safe and also helps us to manage the accounts. Authentication is also complex because there is a lot of moving pieces that have to fit together in just the right way to make that work. The course introduce three tools to make authentication more quickly and safely. 1. Passport.js Passport.js will make our life easier and make our code shorter. It also helps to make implementation faster. Most importantly, it is used a lot in the real word. 2. Passport Local Passport Local is for username and password. It's about providing this entry point into all sorts of destinations. 3. Passport Local Mongoose This package will help us implement authentication with passport, and it's specially made to work with mongoose. We are also going to use these three tools into a Secret Page App project, which will show in next few posts.