Skip to main content

Intro to CSS: How To Add Border & Background To Your Web Page

When we open any web page, almost all of them have unique backgrounds. Background can let people feel the personality of the brand.

For some website, the web page also include a few borders, which make the page content more organized.

Today, I am going to show you how to add border and background to your web page.

Step One: Create a simple HTML web page

No matter what, you always have to create a web page first. Since I love cooking, so I build a Love Cooking and Food blog page.

The HTML part is:


In the <body> part, I add a page header, a search bar, a short navigation which include four parts:"Home", "Homemade Recipes", "Food Photos" and "Diet Style". Each part should has hyperlinks to another page, but I don't have another page yet, so I just keep them here.

Then, I write some simple text about this site and use <div> tag to block all the paragraphs for the CSS purpose.

The outcome is just a all black text web page:



Step Two: Write CSS file includes change color, add border and background

After I finish the HTML part, now let's start the fun part!


I want to start from the simple part: change the text color. Therefore, I go to the Color Picker to select the color code I want and to add into all the selector property values. For example, I want the paragraph texts are grey, so the code will be p{color: #2E4053;}.

Then, I want to add a big border to include all the paragraphs. According to the course, border on CSS has three different parts: width, color and style (dash/solid). I put the value for each part to create the border: div{border: 2px solid orange}

Finally, I want to have a background on the page. So, I add the background image url in the body selector. Since I want the image fully cover the web page, so I put background-repeat with no-repeat, and background-size with cover. 

Step Three: Link the CSS file to HTML

I link the CSS file to HTML page, so the web page can make changes.


The final web page will look like:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GIT Study Note: Six Git Commands You Should Know!

What is Git? According to Git website , Git is a free and open source distributed version control system designed to handle everything from small to very large projects with speed and efficiency. Basically, we can use Git to track all of changes and revert them back if we made mistakes. The version control system is a way for us to work with different versions of our code, so that we can save different features and make notes as we progress. It is also very useful for team collaboration. Six Git Command You Should Know 1. Git Init In our server, we need to create a "Git" directory and inside of "Git", we make another direcory "git_inro". Then, we add a file "app,js" in the "git_intro" folder. The first thing we need to run is "git init" . When we run git init, it will make a directory which is hidden called ".git". Wherever I run that git init command, it's going to track all of our changes. ...

Intermediate Express.js: How To Render HTML From A EJS File?

The Express.js apps we have developed so far are just simply getting requests from users and sending matched message back to them. However, it is not what we want in the real web application. In most case, we want to send back a relevant web page when our app receives request from user. In order to do that, we need to npm install ejs file in the Express, create HTML page in the ejs file, and render HTMl from the ejs file. I know it sounds confuse now. I am going to explain more details in the example. EJS stands for embedded JavaScript. It lets us embed JavaScript code variables if statements loops inside of HTML. How to render HTML from a EJS file? Step One: Create a HTML page in EJS file Firstly, in our server, we create a folder named "EJSDemo". In this folder, we touch two files, one is "app.js", and the other one is "home.ejs". We are going to write a simple HTML code in the "home.ejs" file. The instructor create a dog page,...

Express Study Notes: Five Steps To Develop My First Express App

In the last post, I shared my study note about one of the most important reason that Node is very popular is because Node has the largest package ecosystem of open source libraries in the world. Node's NPM, the package manager for Javascript, contains almost 200,000 packages which are centralized on the NPM website. And more importantly, NPM has a command line tool which help us to install packages really easily. The course instructor told us that we are going to learn Express.js to develop Apps in this course. screenshot for the Express.js.com homepage What is Express.js? Express.js is a web development framework. According to the course, framework is a bunch of code that someone else wrote just like a library is except when we use a framework, we have less control. The goal of using this framework is to make our development of APPs faster. Why do we use Express.js? 1. It is the most popular Node web development framework so far. 2. It is a very lightweight ...