Skip to main content

Intermediate CSS: How to Style Your Text & Font?

When I read blogs or any web content, I always pay attention to the text style. Are those text styled easily to read? What feeling do those styled texts bring to me, feel clear or feel a mess?

I have seen many brands use "special" font text in order to make a stronger personality. Those content do attract my eye attention, but I don't have the patience to read through it. I prefer to read the content which is styled professionally.

So how to use CSS to style our text & font?

Now I am going to list Six Common CSS properties which are used for text and font style.

I create a simple HTML page includes two paragraphs, which are copied from my first blog post.

The HTML Part:


The page looks like:

1. Font-family

I want to make all my text content with font Arial, so I set the<p> and <h2> font-family property value as "Arial".


The result:


Arial is my favorite font. If you prefer to use other professional fonts, you can set your own. Just keep in mind, some browsers may not able to run some of the fonts appear on the web page appropriately.

2. Font-size

I want to make h2 text bigger than the current size, so I change the h2 font-size to 30px.


The result:

3.Font-weight

The weight of a font refers to how bold or light weight the text is. I make both of paragraphs text bold, so I set <p> font-weight as "bold".


The result:

4. Line-height



Line-height is the distance between each line or line spacing. The value is usually between 0 to 3. I  set the line-height for each line in paragraphs to be 2 (double spaced). 


The result:



5. Text-align


Text-align is for setting your text in "right", "center" or "left" position on the page. I definitely want to set my h2 text in the center of the page.


The result:


6. Text-decoration


According to MDN, text-decoration includes underline and line-through. Therefore, I use the nth-of-type selector and set my second paragraph text underline.



The result:

The final webpage looks like:



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GIT Study Note: Six Git Commands You Should Know!

What is Git? According to Git website , Git is a free and open source distributed version control system designed to handle everything from small to very large projects with speed and efficiency. Basically, we can use Git to track all of changes and revert them back if we made mistakes. The version control system is a way for us to work with different versions of our code, so that we can save different features and make notes as we progress. It is also very useful for team collaboration. Six Git Command You Should Know 1. Git Init In our server, we need to create a "Git" directory and inside of "Git", we make another direcory "git_inro". Then, we add a file "app,js" in the "git_intro" folder. The first thing we need to run is "git init" . When we run git init, it will make a directory which is hidden called ".git". Wherever I run that git init command, it's going to track all of our changes. ...

Intermediate Express.js: How To Render HTML From A EJS File?

The Express.js apps we have developed so far are just simply getting requests from users and sending matched message back to them. However, it is not what we want in the real web application. In most case, we want to send back a relevant web page when our app receives request from user. In order to do that, we need to npm install ejs file in the Express, create HTML page in the ejs file, and render HTMl from the ejs file. I know it sounds confuse now. I am going to explain more details in the example. EJS stands for embedded JavaScript. It lets us embed JavaScript code variables if statements loops inside of HTML. How to render HTML from a EJS file? Step One: Create a HTML page in EJS file Firstly, in our server, we create a folder named "EJSDemo". In this folder, we touch two files, one is "app.js", and the other one is "home.ejs". We are going to write a simple HTML code in the "home.ejs" file. The instructor create a dog page,...

Express Study Notes: Five Steps To Develop My First Express App

In the last post, I shared my study note about one of the most important reason that Node is very popular is because Node has the largest package ecosystem of open source libraries in the world. Node's NPM, the package manager for Javascript, contains almost 200,000 packages which are centralized on the NPM website. And more importantly, NPM has a command line tool which help us to install packages really easily. The course instructor told us that we are going to learn Express.js to develop Apps in this course. screenshot for the Express.js.com homepage What is Express.js? Express.js is a web development framework. According to the course, framework is a bunch of code that someone else wrote just like a library is except when we use a framework, we have less control. The goal of using this framework is to make our development of APPs faster. Why do we use Express.js? 1. It is the most popular Node web development framework so far. 2. It is a very lightweight ...