Skip to main content

Intro to CSS: Three CSS Color Types You Could Try

The simplest thing to make our web content attractive is to change text color. There are three CSS color types many programmers are using very commonly.

Hexadecimal

Hexadecimal is the # plus string of 6 hexadecimal numbers, which range from 0 to F. For example, color:#4B0082 is a purple color.

The first two numbers correspond how much red is in the color. The next two numbers correspond how much green in the color, and the last two numbers correspond to how much blue in the color. For example, color #FF0000 means all red. 

However, it is impossible to know the exactly hexadecimal for each color. So the easiest way is to find the color on Color Picker to select the color you want.


RGB

RGB includes three channels: Red, Green and Blue. Each ranges from 0 to 255. For example, if you want your <h1> text to color all green, you can use color: rgb (0,255,0).

RGBA

Just like RGB, but with an alpha (transparency) channel ranges from 0.0 to 1.0. For example, if you want your <h1> text to color all green with half transparency, the color will be rgba(0,255,0,0.5).

Now I am going to use those three color types to show a simple CSS color example.

Step one: create a HTML web page

I create a simple site named "Find Your Fruit" by using HTML. As you can see below, the text are all in default black. 

Step two: create a separate CSS file to add color property for those content.

Now I apply three different types of CSS color in this example. For h1, I go to the color picker site to select an watermelon kind of red color. Then, I copy the hexadecimal number (#FF5733) and paste in the color value.

Then, I add rgb value (50,100,150) for the h3 text color. I want the color is dark blue, so I put 150 on blue part. 

At last, I want the list content maintains the same color as the h3 text does, but only has some transparency. So I use rgba (50, 100, 150, 0.5), which keep the first three number unchanged, and add 0.5 transparency level.


Step three: link the CSS file to the HTML file

After I finished the CSS part, I link the css file "color example.css" to the HTML. Therefore, the web page can change the text color as I expected.



As the result:

Personally, I like the hexadecimal color type because I can view the color visually, and simply select any color I want in the color picker. For the RGB, I have to mix the three color channels by myself. Since I am not an artist, I have no idea how to mix red, green and blue into a different color. To be honest, I can't image what color I really want until I see it.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GIT Study Note: Six Git Commands You Should Know!

What is Git? According to Git website , Git is a free and open source distributed version control system designed to handle everything from small to very large projects with speed and efficiency. Basically, we can use Git to track all of changes and revert them back if we made mistakes. The version control system is a way for us to work with different versions of our code, so that we can save different features and make notes as we progress. It is also very useful for team collaboration. Six Git Command You Should Know 1. Git Init In our server, we need to create a "Git" directory and inside of "Git", we make another direcory "git_inro". Then, we add a file "app,js" in the "git_intro" folder. The first thing we need to run is "git init" . When we run git init, it will make a directory which is hidden called ".git". Wherever I run that git init command, it's going to track all of our changes. ...

Intermediate Express.js: How To Render HTML From A EJS File?

The Express.js apps we have developed so far are just simply getting requests from users and sending matched message back to them. However, it is not what we want in the real web application. In most case, we want to send back a relevant web page when our app receives request from user. In order to do that, we need to npm install ejs file in the Express, create HTML page in the ejs file, and render HTMl from the ejs file. I know it sounds confuse now. I am going to explain more details in the example. EJS stands for embedded JavaScript. It lets us embed JavaScript code variables if statements loops inside of HTML. How to render HTML from a EJS file? Step One: Create a HTML page in EJS file Firstly, in our server, we create a folder named "EJSDemo". In this folder, we touch two files, one is "app.js", and the other one is "home.ejs". We are going to write a simple HTML code in the "home.ejs" file. The instructor create a dog page,...

Express Study Notes: Five Steps To Develop My First Express App

In the last post, I shared my study note about one of the most important reason that Node is very popular is because Node has the largest package ecosystem of open source libraries in the world. Node's NPM, the package manager for Javascript, contains almost 200,000 packages which are centralized on the NPM website. And more importantly, NPM has a command line tool which help us to install packages really easily. The course instructor told us that we are going to learn Express.js to develop Apps in this course. screenshot for the Express.js.com homepage What is Express.js? Express.js is a web development framework. According to the course, framework is a bunch of code that someone else wrote just like a library is except when we use a framework, we have less control. The goal of using this framework is to make our development of APPs faster. Why do we use Express.js? 1. It is the most popular Node web development framework so far. 2. It is a very lightweight ...